Subclass 500 – Visa Requirements

Student Visa 500

Student Visa 500 is given to eligible and qualified students from across the globe who wish to establish their education in one of Australia’s finest education providers. This visa allows you to enroll and study full time in a Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) registered course in the country.

This also allows you to stay in the country to complete the entire length of your study or a maximum of 5 years and allows you to work around 20 hours a week during the school term and an unlimited number of hours during school breaks. Students who are taking up post-graduate studies have no restrictions on their number of working hours.

The subclass 500 also allows the parents or legal guardians of overseas students to live with them by applying their own visa referred to as Student Guardian Subclass 590. Student visa subclass 500 is obtainable by international students who have been accepted and enrolled in a school, university, or college in Australia. Those students who are minors and under 18 years old, they are required to follow the immigration approved living arrangements.

  • Minimum age requirement is 18 years old and above
  • Secure an enrollment document in a CRICOS registered institution and must obtain a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from your institution.
  • Acquire membership with Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) which serves as your health insurance provider who will be accountable for your medical expenses during your stay in the country.
  • Qualify and satisfy the Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) criteria.
  • Obtain a satisfactory rating in any approved English language test such as IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, etc. to prove that you are proficient in English in both written and oral. Students originating from the USA, Canada, U.K, New Zealand, and Ireland are exempted.
  • Your financial background should comply and meet the financial requirement set by immigration officials to sustain all necessary expenses that come with studying in Australia.
  • You must pass health requirements on your medical examination.

There are different types of visa and it is categorized into different sub-classes depending on your intention in entering the country. All study options below are governed under the Student Visa Subclass 500 which includes:

  • Independent English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Student (ELICOS)
  • Primary and Secondary Education
  • Secondary School Exchange Program
  • Vocational Education and Training (VET) Program
  • Higher Education/Undergraduate Degree
  • Post-graduate Research
  • Non-award Courses
  • International students sponsored by the Department of Foreign Affairs or Department of Defense

For more information, you may check the Australia’s Department of Home Affairs.